I often make decisions with my heart rather than my head. I do it all the time. Sometimes it has paid off for me and other times it has not. But I have never been really hurt by making a bad decision.
If you have followed my blog over the past few years you probably already know this is true. My whole saga of divorcing K coming out at a gay man was lead by my heart. If I only listened to my head, I would have probably done things quicker, but I think I might have done more damage in the long run.
Other times, I have had to be told my someone that I was doing the wrong thing. T often fills that role for me. He is analytic in his thinking and he is not shy about telling me when he thinks I am on the wrong track.
Today might be one of those days.
A few weeks ago, my roommate announced he was moving out at the end of August. I could pay my expenses without his help, but I have gotten used to the extra income. I have not yet posted an ad on Craigslist, but I have been looking through the "housing wanted" ads. I wrote to some and have had 2 people come and look.
One of them is a 18 year old kid. He has graduated high school and he has a job, but not a great one. He was living at home, but when his parents caught him with another boy, they started giving him a really hard time and he felt the need to move out. He is staying with friends now and looking for a place to live. He tells me he mostly likes girls and has only fooled around around a couple of guys.
I have a large room for rent, but I also have 2 smaller rooms that I have not been renting, but I could. He cannot pay want I want for the large room, but I think I would be willing to rent one of the smaller rooms to him for what he can afford. He showed me his pay stubs and said he could pay the first month up front. I will run a criminal background check. At his age I don't expect to find much, but I will check anyway.
I feel like I am doing my part to help out a queer kid that needs it. This kid could have been me a number of years ago, but for the Grace of God.
I told T about it. He has a bad feeling. He did not say specifically why, but he thinks I caution is in order. I was so sure I was doing the right thing, but now I am not so sure. I will have to think about it more.
Russian Blog Readership Soars
12 hours ago