Thursday, December 8, 2011

And It Begins...

They started arriving today  Actually almost everyone from out of town who is coming to K's wedding arrived today.  K asked me to run to the store and pick up a bottle of wine for her to cook dinner with.  I got another one for me to drink.  And another one, just in case I needed it. 


I really don't drink very much, but I could not stop myself today.


Here is how it unfolded:


After spending a wonderful day with T, which I need to write about later, I went to K's house to get the kids off the bus.  I like to be there when my daughter gets off the bus.  she is only 7 and she likes to see me there too.


After a while K got back from school.  I left the to go home to meet a potential roommate.  When I got back AJ's parents and brother.  They already know I am gay.  They already know that K and still have a close relationship.  They are not entirely comfortable with that relationship, even though AJ has tried hard to explain it to them.  They were polite and nice.


Then AJ came home.  He had come from the airport with K's aunt.  I am indifferent about her aunt.  Over the past few years she has been nice to me, but it has not always been that way.  Also she is nice to my kids.  I guess she has mellowed with age.


I opened the wine.


Then K's parents and her sister came.  I really like K's sister.  While K's family all know that I am gay, K's sister has been the most enthusiastic supporter from K's family.  It was nice to see her.  If I still lived north near them, I think she would be my fag hag and go to the bars with me.  I like K's parents too, they have always been nice to me.  I don't like the way they, and her sister, treat K sometimes.  They cause K so much stress, it sucks the joy out of everything.  The truth is that it's about 50% K's fault.  K is not always very flexible when things do not go her way.  But at the end of the day, I usually have to deal with the stress.


I poured my second glass of wine.


Dinner was served.  It was a good dinner, but there was a lot of people and commotion   


I poured my third glass of wine. 


I stayed just long enough to tuck the younger kids into bed and then I headed for the door.  I went home and I was starting to be happier than ever that I live alone.


I will be glad when it is all over.

1 comment:

TwoLives said...

Only three glasses of wine? You're doing well!

It's likely that this pre-wedding stuff is going to be the hardest part. So many people, the stress of getting ready. Once the vows are done and the party starts, you should be over the worst of it.

Until then, maybe try focusing on the kids and let the adults do their thing?