Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lake Landing

I have been MIA form the blogging thing for a while.  I have had a lot of very uninteresting stuff going on, but I will try to get back into it.


K's family arrives today.  There is a large lake nearby and they have rented a house there for the week.  Her sister, husband, and 3 kids. Her mom & dad and an aunt & uncle.


I am just glad they will not all be staying at my house.


My brother-in-law is not really homophobic, but he is a little uncomfortable around gay people.  He has made an effort for me and I appreciate it.  In the past he has said some really, not nice things about gay people.  But now karma may be coming back to him.


His youngest son, who is 4, likes to play dress up.  Lots of kids do.  Instead of putting on the Spider-man or the Batman costume what does he put on?  Cinderella.  He actually does that all the time.  He dresses up in princess costumes and dresses when ever he can.  The frillier the better.  It drives my brother-in-law crazy, but he does not say much.  He is afraid to encourage him.  I am hoping the kid is gay and not transsexual.


Anyway they are here for the week.  This will be a stressful week.  I am only waiting for it to happen.  I am waiting for K's family to do something or not do something that will tick her off.  It happens every time they get together.


I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Sammy B said...

Hello Jim
I can understand your gentle schadenfreude at your brother-in-law's expense, but surely, at 4 years old, whether the child is happy dressing up as Cinderella, Spiderman, both or neither is the only important thing?

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

jim said...

My nephew loves to dress up in dresses as a costume and at that age it is just fun for him. It is curious because neither his older sister or mother a particularly girly. In fact except for her wedding, I do not think I have ever seen my sister-in-law wear a dress in the almost 20 years I have known her.

At the same time, my daughter (who loves pink, horses and dolls) has never put the Cinderella costume on preferring to be Spiderman or Batman. (She wore a Wolverine costume from 9am to about 3pm yesterday, mask and everything.)

I want both of them to be happy and I do not think this dress up play will harm them in anyway. Besides, if my nephew is gay, he's gay. There is nothing anyone can do now or later to change that. All we do is remind him how much he is loved and let him have his fun.