Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Home, Moving, and Looking Out



After a good vacation with my family it was time for the kids and I to return home.  We drove overnight Saturday into Sunday arriving mid morning Sunday.  I had planned to take Monday & Tuesday off anyway so I had a couple of days to decompress before heading back to work tomorrow.  I had a good visit with my family but I was really glad to be sleeping in my own bed.  (I'm not sure who took that picture of me sleeping.)


--------------------------------------


This afternoon I went to have the first sit down meeting with my lawyer about my divorce.  I really think they don't know how to deal with me.   Because the divorce complaint was initiated by me the lawyer told me K will have to be served by the sheriff.


Me: The sheriff?  Can't I just give her a copy?
Lawyer:  What?
Me:  I will see K this afternoon, can I just giver her a copy?
Lawyer:  Are you friendly enough with her to do that?
Me:  Yeah.  I think it will be OK.


Then we were talking about the division of property document.  The lawyer drew it up based on a worksheet he gave me to fill out.  K actually filled out most of it for me.  Under state law, she has 30 days to review and respond to the proposal.  K and I are both eager to get this all done.


Me:  Do we have to wait 30 days?
Lawyer:  Yes.  The law said she has to have time to review and respond to our proposal.
Me:  What if she agrees?  Can she waive the 30 days?
Lawyer: (staring blankly) That... um... never happens.
Me: Look, I told you that this would be an easy divorce.  K actually wrote most of the worksheet I sent you back.
Lawyer: (staring blankly) Um... OK... well... if she signs the agreement then that should be OK.


I spent about 20 minutes with the lawyer, wrote him a check for the court costs (from K's checking account) and I was on my way for paper's for her and I to sign and get back to the lawyer.


Later tonight I am going to run down to T's place.  I will be the first time I have seen him in 2 weeks.  I can't stay too long, but I just can't wait any longer to see him.

1 comment:

manxxman said...

Sounds like my divorce......it's easier that way.