Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Change of Plan & Fun with Dad



This is the lake in Maine where my parents own a big chunk of land.  I used to go there most summers as a teen.  When I had my own kids K and I took them every year during the second week in August every year.  K is not really a camping kind of girl, but she was usually a good sport about it.  There is a very small cabin there, but we stayed in a test.


Next week we had planned to go.  Me, the kids, my  sister & her husband and kids and my parents.    The plan was to stay there for 5 days.  There is not a lot to do there, but that is more than half the fun.  We have kayaks and a canoe.  We have lake for swimming nearby and if all else fails my uncle owns a motel with a pool where we can hang out ant swim.  There are campfires and cooking weenies on the open fire.  There is also a lot sitting around.  Lounging in the hammock.  Walking in the woods.  Picking wild raspberries and blueberries (eating them too).


Sadly, this year we are not going to go.  My father has been in poor health for a while.  Like most people with a chronic illness he has good days and bad days.  It seems that now is some bad days and he will not be well enough to go.   Very disappointing.


My sister and I could still go, but I think the truth is if my parents are not there, it will not be as much fun.  It just won't be the same.


I am still going to go north with the kids, and I may bring the tent with me anyway.  Camping in my mom's back yard might be almost as much fun.  I told the kids about it and while I think they are disappointed too, they understand and we will still have a good time.  Maybe we will be in a trip to the beach.  


In other news, 






Things in my house are seeming normal.  Well, normal-ish.  My youngest son is a little clingy and has been acting out a little, but not too much.  Today, we had an interesting conversation.


After wrestling on my bed for a while, youngest son and I started talking about family relationships.


Me: ... and AJ's daughter will be your step-sister.
Youngest son: and AJ will be my step father.
Me:  That's right.  And you can call him...
YS: I'll call him Joel.
Me: Good.  Because you already have a dad.  And who it that?
YS:  A gay person?
Me:  Well... yes... that's right too.


When we back to wrestling on my bed.  I wondered if I should have taken the opportunity to see if we wanted to talk about it.  On the other hand, he did not seem bothered so I thought it was best not to make a big deal about it.  Also wrestling with him was fun and since he will be moving with K at the end of the month, I am trying to emphasize fun with dad when ever I can.

2 comments:

T said...

LOL..."a gay person." That was cute.

JustAMike said...

Kids are cool.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My heart goes out to people with chronic pain.

I hope you do get to go camping. Bill and I and my kids went camping on our July long weekend. And we did nothing organized - just hung about, or tossed a ball, or walked on the beach. It was amazingly relaxing.

Hope the rest of your summer is awesome!