Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Last $160.42

On Thursday it will be 4 weeks since I was let go from my job of 8 and a half years.  When I was let go, they asked me to sign a contract promising not to sue, talk bad about them, or release any company information.  I agreed to this in exchange for 9 weeks of severance pay.  So I sign the contract and they said it would be about 2 week until I get the money.  


That was three weeks ago.  I have not seen the money.  I called this afternoon and they told be they would check on it.  Grrrr.


Last Friday was a regular pay day.  I got a little accumulated holiday pay that was about a quarter of what I would usually have gotten.  This would not be the end of the world if I have received the severance that I am owed.


To make matters worse, because I have been promised severance, the friendly Unemployment office will not take any of my calls.  I have to wait until my severance runs out, before I can talk to them.  They closed the claim I filed and told me to come back later.


So now I am in a position where I cannot get unemployment benefits and I do not have the severance money I am owed.  My finances are running on fumes and I am pretty pissed about it.  I am also getting depressed about it.






I have had phone interviews with three companies, 2 last week and 1 tomorrow.  Of the three jobs, only one if comparable to the job that I had.  The others are jobs, but they are a couple of levels below were I was and tens of thousands of dollars less per year.  I am not thrilled about the idea of starting over again at the bottom.


For now I am fully pursuing both the get a job option and the go back to school option.  I am meeting on Friday with the admissions people at the PA school to get my hands around the requirements.   


Starting this week, is the first time that I will be able to talk to anyone in the Unemployment office about the programs that would let me go back to school.  I have to be out of work for four weeks before they would even talk to me.




So what has become of my gay blog.  Lately it seems that I have converted it into an unemployment blog.  There is a lot to talk about concerning my relationship with T.  There is more to talk about concerning the evolving relations between K and I (and AJ).  There is more to talk about concerning the transition of the kids to their new reality.


Of course my job and school situation is dominating my life right now and therefore it will be something I will write about, but I don't want to get bogged down in it.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me like they did not uphold their side of the bargin, therefore you can sue. Call the labor board and find out if they can help you or direct you somewhere.

JustAMike said...

That's pretty crappy alright. Sorry you are having to go through this. I'm happy that you are continuing to pursue your education. Best wishes!