Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Coming Into The Light



Oh, when you were young
Did you question all the answers
Did you envy all the dancers who had all the nerve

Look around you now
You must go for what you wanted
Look at all my friends who did and got what they deserved

- Crosby, Stills, & Nash


My friend from out west at http://marturios.wordpress.com/ has stepped into the light from his dark place.  I have watch other men, some of them bloggers, step into the light.  I am stepping out of the darkness into the light.  There are others who are still in darkness, waiting to step into the light.


I was listening to Slacker radio on my Blackberry at work today and "Wasted on the Way" from Crosby, Stills, & Nash came on.  I have heard this song a thousand times, but I think this was the first time I actually listened to the words.  The verse above struck me. 


For much of the time I was married, I looked at gay couples or gay people who were out and I was envious.  They were the dancers who had the nerve.  Now some of those people have been with their partners for 10 years of more.  They went for what they wanted and got what they deserved.  


I am not boo hoo-ing about lost opportunity here.  I am not going back and regretting my past choices.  It's just that when that song came on, I could not help but think there was a message there for me ... and maybe others.

No comments: