Friday, January 7, 2011

Delight In The Mundane

T does not work on Thursday. Since I was on vacation last week, T and I spent most of the day together last Thursday.  It was the first time... well maybe ever that we had done that. I met him at about 10:30 in the morning and here is what we did:

  • Had some "private" time
  • When to a house to look at the painting that he found on Craigslist
  • Took the painting he bought to his house
  • Had a casual lunch out
  • Met with a contractor doing some remodeling work on his office. 
  • Went shopping for a lace tablecloth for him mom. (Oh yea, we looked gay!)
  • I drove him home. 
Basically we spent most of our day running his errands.  He kept thanking me for coming with him.  I told him I did not need any thanking. I was just happy to be with him for the day. What we did was incidental. It did not really matter as long as we were together.

What I tried to explain to him was, I delight in the mundane.   It was the simple act of us doing simple things together.  "Together" was the key word.  I am not involved in how he runs his business, but being with him when he met with the contractor, made be feel connected to him.  The paining he bought was for his mom.  She will not know, or care, that I went with him to get it.  Because we did it together, I feel more connected to his life.



It is the everyday, the ordinary that forges the strongest connections for me.  Yes, attending a special event or taking a trip together is nice, but if build a connection with me, take me grocery shopping.

No comments: