Friday, January 27, 2012

More Bits of Transition



I write less and less about the transition from married life to semi-single life, but today, I was reminded about one more thing. 


Ever since it first aired 10 years ago, K and I have been faithful watchers of the Amazing Race.  It was one of the very few reality shows we watched together.  I like it because it is (usually) regular people doing extraordinarily things, but not ridiculous things.  It is more like a real competition where the teams work together and there is very little scheming or other slimy dealing for advantage.  The few times when there is, invariably "Race karma" spanks the slimy team.


Anyway, K and I have always watched it together.  When our schedules did not match up, I would DVR it, sometimes several weeks worth and then we would find the time to sit down and watch.


This past season, the one that started in September, it was different.  The biggest change was that her and I no longer live in the same house.  But we each DVRed the race.  We watched the first 2 episodes together, but that was it.  The season ended and neither of us have watched it.  We have not been able to find the time together, and now it's like 8 or 9 hours of show to watch.  


But I waited.  I thought it was something I should continue to do with my best friend.  Maintain a long standing tradition. 


This week CBS announced the racers for the next season starting in mid-February.  So, today I fired up the DVR and I started watching the episodes I have saved.  I watch alone.  It was a little sad, as it is another part of my old life that is going away.


Another reminder things are changing.  


I wonder if T will watch the next season with me?

1 comment:

T said...

Of course I would. I never complained when you made me watch Chopped.