Sunday, September 6, 2009

God, Church, & the Drive by Sermon



I believe in God, and I like Jesus, but I think organized religion is something created by man (not God) and is generally a load of shit. I am tired of people who beat other people over the head with their Bibles. I know that all religion (or religious people) are not like this, but a lot of them are and the ones who aren't, often don't stand up to their more bigoted brethren. I found nothing in the Bible where Jesus said to try to force others to conform to any set of beliefs.

Living here in the Bible Belt there is no shortage of people pushing their version of God's will in your face. It starts when you arrive at the Charlotte airport. The main road connecting the airport to the interstate is "Billy Graham Parkway".

Lot's of the churches have these signs out front with these little slogans. I'm sure they are everywhere, but I only noticed them once I moved to the south. I usually ignore them, but today these caught my eye. The pictures I made at the "Church sign generator" but the messages were on 2 separate churches I drove past today.

I worry all the time. Especially in the past 18 months since finally coming out to myself, K and my family. You can read back to see all the crap I worry about. One of the things K tells me all the time is that I need to have faith that everything will be OK.

K has a very strong faith. She thinks all things happen for a reason. She has had a lot of crap happen to her in her life and she believes that everything happens for a reason. I'm sure that helps her accept it all. I'm not going to get into any specifics here, but she has told me (and I believe it) that having her husband of 16 years come out of the closet and leave her for a man is not the worst thing that has ever happened in her life.

In a lot of ways I am jealous of her ability to have faith and not worry. As you may know I have been very stressed out by the idea I may have to move out of my house. Maybe these signs were placed to send me a message.


1 comment:

manxxman said...

There's no use telling you something you are finding hard to accept. You just have to do it for yourself and find out.......but K is right....to bad she isn't a man......oh my what heaven you'd be in.