Tuesday, March 9, 2010

On The Beach

I woke up.  Outside it is just starting to get light.  The sun is not up, but to will be soon.  I can hear the surf through the open window.  I close my eyes again and deeply breath in the salt air.  I reach for you, but all I find are covers.  I open my eyes and look over at your spot  No you.  I sit up and little and look around.  You are not in the room, but I can see your silhouette through the window, on the deck of our little bungalow.

I get out of bed and step out on the deck into the early dawn.  It is still dark so I cannot see you too clearly, only the outline of your figure against the slowly brightening sky.  I pause for a moment to admire how your broad shoulders taper your narrow waist.  I can tell you are still naked as the sea breeze reminds me of my own nakedness.

You are leaning on the railing looking out to sea.  You do not hear me approach.  You only look over at me when my arm touches yours.  You smile briefly and then return your attention to the sea.

"What 'ch looking at, honey?" I ask.

"Nothing really. I was just thinking."  you reply.  I say nothing and just listen.  "I was thinking about all the things that had to happen in each of our lives to bring us together at this point in time.  I mean, it must have been God that brought us together."

"I must have been."  I say, also gazing toward the sea.  Listening to the surf.

I lean over and kiss your cheek.  You turn to look at me and our lips meet.  At that moment, the sun breaks over the horizon and a new day begins.

No comments: