Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Slice of Heaven

It is quiet, except for the crickets, the bullfrogs by the pond and the crackle of the fire.


After a long day chasing after the kids, they are all in the tent, in their sleeping bags, dreaming of tomorrow's activities.  This is our time and for now, we are alone.


I stare into the fire.  Mesmerized by the glow of the coals and the flicker of the flame.  Except for the occasional fire fly and the stars, it is the only light source. 


Our chairs are next to each other.  There is a cold beer in each chair's armrest.  I look over at you and you are staring into the fire, seemingly at the same spot where I was just looking.  The flicker of firelight casts strange shadows on your face, and I can see the brightness of your eyes.  


Your elbow is on the armrest, and your hand is in your lap.  I reach over and take your hand and pull it toward me.  Your eyes meet mine, just for an instant, then return to the fire.  My gaze also returns to the fire.  Dancing and flickering.  I gently squeeze your hand as your thumb absently rub back and forth on my hand.  We do not speak, but I notice that we are breathing together.  In and out.  In and out.


It is quiet, except for the crickets, the bullfrogs by the pond and the crackle of the fire.


I look over at you and squeeze your hand again you turn to meet my eyes.  I can see the fire reflected in your eyes.  At the same time we lean into each other as if a magnetic force was push us.  I close my eyes as our lips meet and press together in a gentle kiss.  I can feel the stubble of your beard against my lips.  I breath in your scent as we kiss for a moment.


As we separate and  open my eyes I see that your are looking up.  Through the trees there is a small patch of sky, and in that small area there must be a million stars.  This time you are squeezing my hand, I look back at you and we kiss again, this time lingering a but longer.


As we slowly separate, we return to the fire.  Again I am mesmerized by the flames, as we continue to hold hands.  Breathing in time as if we are 2 souls in one body.

It is quiet, except for the crickets, the bullfrogs by the pond and the crackling fire.

No comments: